An award-winning spa and resort, Preidlhof is a premier Alpine wellness destination near Merano in Naturns, South Tyrol. Trivago designated it as the “Best 5-Star Hotel in Italy” in 2018. As we discuss in our Preidlhof review, the hotel offers an exceptional number of ways to help you unwind, recharge, rekindle romance and much more.
The following are our top tips for enjoying your time at Preidlhof:
- Engage with other guests in the evening. Many of the guests will be German-speaking, but we found many knew English well enough to have an enjoyable conversation.
- The wine recommendations are well-paired with the menu each night. You can’t go wrong with them, but if you desire something in particular be sure to ask Preidlhof’s sommelier, Matthias. He is a wealth of knowledge.
- Look for the “Südtirol” logo next to food in the buffet. This designates the item as a local specialty. Be sure to try all the cheeses and breads. You’ll find new favorites.
- Much of the Spa Tower is a nudist zone. Such areas will be designated by signage indicating “F.K.K. and “Zona nudista”. If nakedness bothers you, visit the Spa Tower early in the day or late in the evening when it is least busy. Areas where you are required to wear a spa kilt (provided by Preidlhof) is designated by “Textile Bereich” and “zona con costume”. Don’t worry about being nude in front of strangers. This is one of the most non-judgmental places you could ever visit.
- To reap the full wellness benefits of a sauna experience, plan to spend at least 2 hours in the Spa Tower.
- The Infinity Sky Pool also has sitting areas where you can lay back and turn on jacuzzi jets. At night there is nothing more relaxing.
- The Spa Tower and pools are amazing, but plan time for the PREIDL Med-Spa & Beauty Center. The number of treatments available is remarkable. Ask for guidance if you’re not sure what sounds most appealing.
- Ask for a tour of Preidlhof’s wine cellar. It’s a rustic gem with vintages going back decades. Preidlhof goes through 12,000 bottles each year!
- Make time to participate in a sauna infusion experience in the Event Sauna. We missed this with our schedule and regret not partaking in this unique ritual.
- If the weather allows it, spend a night under the stars on the daybed on your room’s terrace.
- Unless you’re scheduling time with a trainer for a specific session, skip the work out area located below the spa tower. If you’re pining for a vigorous workout, get outside. Go for a hike in the mountains or check out one of the hotel’s mountain bikes to spin around the vineyards and orchards of Naturns. A large trail map by the garage entrance identifies several routes you can take.
- When it comes to breakfast and dinner, Preidlhof seats you at the same table each day. During lunch you can wear your spa robes, but in the evening plan to dress up as if you’re heading out.
For more information on how to get to South Tyrol, travel guides, planning checklists, saving money on your adventure and more, access our free South Tyrol Travel Resource Library.